Cooler autumn weather usually means choosing clothes designed to keep you warm. It’s nice to get cozy on a cool fall evening, but there are plenty of occasions when an entrepreneur wants – and needs – to look professional. Dressing for success doesn’t have to mean giving up comfort; keeping a few simple tips in mind can ensure you’re warm, comfortable and chic all autumn long.
Whether it’s an event you’re leading, like a Motives® party, or an event you’re attending with prospective business partners, like an UnFranchise® Business Presentation, the right look can make a difference in the end results you experience. Your attire can also make a difference when you’re meeting new people. A put-together, professional appearance shows that you take yourself and your business seriously.
- Don’t bulk up. Wearing layers for warmth can look sloppy. Look for slim cuts that don’t create additional weight when you’re wearing them. Skip the chunky sweater for one that’s cut to flatter your shape, whether you’re a man or a woman.
- Try a blazer or sport coat. Instead of grabbing a sweatshirt to fend off the autumn chill, go with the more chic, sleek look of a blazer or sport coat. It adds professionalism to any outfit, and warmth! Here are a few great, on-trend blazers to try.
- Look for lining. Cool fall breezes are crisp and refreshing – unless your wardrobe isn’t prepared for them! When selecting business casual or dress pants, make sure they’re fortified enough to stand up to the cooler weather. It’s hard to feel confident if you’re chilly!
- Try the season’s trends. Every closet should contain a mix of timeless pieces – like black dress pants, a classic suit, and a button-down shirt – and complementary items following the season’s trends. This helps ensure that an outfit never looks outdated. Whether it’s adding a vest to a men’s suit to take advantage of this season’s three-piece-suit look, or choosing baroque print for a women’s top, there are plenty of trends to try out this season!
- Don’t forget comfort! When dressing for any gathering, presentation or meeting, it’s important that you’re comfortable. The confidence of a good, professional outfit paired with the relaxed feeling of comfortable clothing will help you give the right impression, every time. Don’t be afraid to spend some time at the store, and skip items that leave you itchy or uncomfortable.
When you’re dressed to the nines, you’ll find that others will take you more seriously – and you’ll feel more confident yourself. For more tips on looking sharp this fall, check out some of the Loren Ridinger’s must-try fall trends, or read Dressing for Success.
How do you integrate trends into your professional wardrobe? Tell us – do you add seasonal updates to your favorite outfits, or do you tuck them away for next year?