Ahhh, Mother’s Day. I really enjoy this day because, in my family, I get to do NOTHING. I don’t have to clean, do laundry or make meals, and it’s really the break from those every day chores and the effort shown by my family that makes the day special for me as a mom. With that in mind, here are a few “free” ways to honor mom this Mother’s Day:
1) Clean the house: If this was the only thing my family did for me, that’s enough. Clean the bathrooms, dust and vacuum all rooms and clean the kitchen. I realize they won’t do the same job as I would, but it’s the thought that counts here.
2) Spruce up the landscaping: Mow the lawn, weed the flower beds and garden. Water the flowers and plants. Don’t forget to sweep off the sidewalks and driveway. What mom doesn’t love a fabulous looking yard?
3) Wash, dry, fold and PUT UP the laundry: Laundry never stops. The bigger the family, the bigger the task. Do two or three loads of laundry – from washing through putting away – and watch her smile. I’m smiling just thinking about it.
4) Write the grocery list, get the groceries, and cook dinner: This isn’t free but has to happen. Some moms like doing this and if yours does, leave this one alone. Many of us don’t. Take this off her list of to do’s this week. Planned meal times make dinner less rushed and create time for your family to connect.
5) Most importantly, tell your mother how much you love her this day: We relish the home made cards, the flowers fresh from our very own gardens, the phone calls, but what we enjoy most is time spent with those we love.